Monday, October 04, 2004

Live From Dallas

Something in me keeps trying to find a way that one small person can work to resolve the conflict making Iraq bleed so much. As an American, a citizen of the country causing pain, ostensibly in the cause of "freedom", the best I can do is think, argue, speak and write, and provide small links in a chain of tiny, individual efforts that hopefully will bring this conflict to a good end.

The only way I can come to terms with the war is by comparing the blood, pain and suffering with that of a patient under the care of a physician whose bedside manner is practically non-existent, who seems to have no problem listening to music as he works under a surgical mask to slice open a patient and drill away at an exposed bone.

Here is another weblog written by a woman from Iraq who lives in Dallas, Texas. Her blog links to a number of other sites, including some kids in Iraq as well as her other, lighter, personal expression.


It's been a year since I started this blog. Let me say that blogging is not a fun business. It's a very stressful hobby. I put lots of emotions in every post I write. It's not easy to stay positive most of the time. I lost my temper a few times. Only God can keep his temper under control 24/7. I can't. Sorry.

When I started this blog, my goal was to find my old friends. I found a few of them within the first few months. It was worth starting this blog.

Another goal for this blog was to establish person-to-person connections between Iraqi and non-Iraqi people whether by e-mail or by encouraging people to make a difference in someone's life. It's worth the stress I get from blogging.
Link

The child who manages Star from Mosul has a sister who also blogs. I also found a photo blog with pictures of Baghdad and what are apparently historic sightseeing destinations. You can tell at a glance that these young people are not too different from young people everywhere. They write with a straightforward voice and change subjects without any reason except that something else has caught their attention.

It only takes a moment to glance at a blog on a daily basis. Most bloggers only publish one or two items a day. So keeping up with a dozen or so weblogs takes less time than reading a local paper. Of course with the paper there is no way to stop what you're reading and get an answer to any questions you may have, so the inquiring blog reader often gets caught up in footnotes (links) and takes more time than looking at a paper.

No comments: