Thursday, February 10, 2005

Karl Haas passed

Just a note for my own record. Some day I may use this blog archives as a memory aid, and this is a footnote I want to record. Red State (Michael Meckler) posts a tribute. Detroit Free Press has an obit.

Adventures in Good Music has been a part of my radio life for so long I can't remember not hearing it. Dr. Haas died last week at the age of 91, having done his special thing over forty years.
I once saw him in person one Sunday afternoon, doing one of his presentations at a local church. When he came through a door at the left front of the sanctuary he ambled up to a piano, microphone and recorder to greet everyone.
His first words were "That's alright. I didn't know what you looked like either."
Who could fail to like somebody like that?

No comments: