Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Sebastian Holsclaw on Torture

This post speaks for itself.
If you don't want to think about it, I suppose you can just skip it.
But from where I stand, we are at serious risk of slipping into a moral quagmire. This very articulate piece of writing is rock solid. But it is not for feint-hearted readers.

I have noted before that I am in the odd position of being a conservative writer with a mostly liberal audience. I'm usually ok with that, but sometimes I want to direct my writing to a conservative or Republican audience. There has been a drip, drip, drip that we have mostly ignored. It does us no credit to continue. There are many sources for this information, but the New Yorker has an excellent overview. The Bush administration has engaged in a very troubling pattern of legtimizing torture by dramatically expanding the practice of 'extraordinary rendition'. This practice essentially amounts to sending people to other countries to be tortured.

No comments: