Sunday, May 15, 2005

Doc Searls on IQ, Redux

One of my many IQ scores, by the way, was 103. That was in the 8th grade. It should have meant nothing. Instead it meant that the school wanted me to go to a "technical" high school to learn a "manual trade." And that my parents had to hunt down a private school. Every one of those schools administered an Otis IQ test. Because I got all the answers right on the test, the Cartaret School (long since deceased) wanted me desperately. Because I choked terribly on the same test, another school (Mount Hermon) told my parents that I was borderline retarded and at the very least I needed to go back a grade. (In fact, I had a crush on a girl who was headed to Northfield, Mount Hermon's sister school, and that was all I could think about during the test.) According to this table, my best SAT scores (nearly the worst in the now-deceased school that did take me, by the way), translate to an Otis IQ score of 119.

Meaningless, of course. But highly consequential, as it tends to turn out.

Which is why IQ sucks.


LINK

Toward the end of the post, he reflects on the long tail and blogrolls.
As usual, there are a ton of links to read, but that's why we have the internet, isn't it. So much better than footnotes and endnotes.
Several people perceive the Long Tail as a kind of palliative to keep small-time bloggers on the hook. One comment said that blogging was a pyramid scheme. Cute.
I see the thinking, but when people with money pay attention, like book and record vendors, there is probably more at work than a conspiracy.
Blogrolls are interesting.
As I drill into new places I find myself occasionally scanning the blogrolls. Some of them look endless, with links to places I never heard of. Thanks to the linitations of the language and the economics of domain registration, permutations of goofy and stretched words are getting more bizarre as time goes on. I think at some point the monkeys at the keyboards will run out of recognizable combinations of alphabets and switch to numbers.
Until I graduate to a better host, my blogroll will be short and neglected. It takes too much time and trouble to mess with the template to add or delete. But even if it was only a click away, I think my blogroll would not be lengthy.
I read everything, but I don't feel the need to advertise everything. All I have to do is look at the out of control string of "favorites" to see how scattered out I can get. It's like that collection of scribbled notes on the dresser that archive my brain-props over the last month or two. When I get around to it I look at one more time before I drop them into the trash.

1 comment:

Deborah White said...

I have to admit....my SAT scores (30 some years ago) correspond with what tests said my IQ was at that age....about 125 to 135. My SAT score corresponds with 127.

IQ tests CAN give a reasonable estimate of one's book-learning intelligence. But it can also be wrong in some cases. Book-learning is just one of many measures of success in career, and no measure of success in ife.