Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Coping with rejection

Sometimes there is a simple explanation for what looks like a complicated event.

Getting rejected is one of life's most devastating experiences. Ask anyone who has been fired, or lost a spouse to someone else, or lost a job opportunity because another candidate was judged "more suitable for our needs." No amount of sugar can make that medicine go down well.

Well Dr. Hildreth got fired by one of his patients. It threw him into an anguished line of self-examination and recrimination. But sometimes, like Dr. Freud said, a cigar is just a cigar.

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer, /"Sir," said I, "or madam, truly your forgiveness I implore; /But the fact is, I was napping, and so gently you came rapping, /And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door, That I scarce was sure I heard you." /Here I opened wide the door;---Darkness there, and nothing more.

No comments: