Saturday, June 18, 2005

Michael Yon again

I think Michael Yon is a freelance journalist in Iraq. My earlier link to his story about the Yezidi was echoed only last night as I was reading the archives of Abu Khaleel. Among other topics, he also talked about this very old, small community and their tragic history. (Wikipedia LINK)

Michael Yon now reports that he has made contact with someone very close to the ground in Iraq. His writing is clear and interesting. He seems not to be trying to advance any particular agenda other than telling the story as he finds it. I am looking forward to his next series...

I did not come to Iraq with the intention of having someone tell me what the people on the "front lines" were thinking and feeling. I came to see with my own eyes.

It's important to talk with Generals: they are all very smart or they wouldn't be Generals, but a General says what he wants people to hear, and sometimes they do lay it on pretty thick. I wanted to meet soldiers. Combat soldiers in particular. And combat soldiers before, during and after combat operations. That's the only place to figure out who is winning and losing this war. "Winning" meaning the Iraqis embrace and protect their freedom and most of our folks come home. Losing meaning something other than this, up to and including to any dreaded stasis.

He has on his way to Kuwait from Baghdad via humvee. On the ground. "Walking the line," as he says. His reports should have credibility.
I'm looking forward to reading.

No comments: