Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Thanks for noticing.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who has such thoughts.
This from Justin at Southern Appeal...

I've been thinking a lot about this issue as it surrounds the church. Not that I necessarily think we need to be running publicity campaigns to soften our image to the public, but it sure wouldn't hurt things for Christians, evangelicals in particular, in the eyes of the world to worry a little less about electing the next Republican majority and worry a little more about such things as the crisis in the Sudan. Sadly enough, it wasn't until I stopped working in vocational ministry and stopped going to seminary did I start hearing about such things in depth. It just seems to me that the vast majority of Christians on their way to save souls (mind you, I'm not demeaning that) have lost sight of an extremely valuable opportunity to 'reach out.' Or perhaps, maybe it's the bubble that I see. I don't want to make large sweeping assumptions here, but from the best I can tell from my experience working in the church, this issue simply isn't a big deal on a large scale. For example, the annual Southern Baptist Convention conference is this week - I'd wager that it barely gets mentioned...if at all, even though Christians are largely the ones suffering. Just a thought.

No comments: