Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Slim Galliard and The Hellzapoppin' Jam

Another gem via Motion Abbey.

Notice how YouTube has become such an essential repository for videos that we have to credit the sources that help find the treasures? Aside from the quality of the music, dancing, and historic significance of this 1941 clip, that's the story I find most important.

Look for the metal clarinet. I haven't seen one of those for years. They used to be the economy instrument for high school bands because they were cheaper than wood and probably more durable. Sounded more like a soprano sax (which this may also be) but in the hands of a competent musician they still made music. Snobs, of course, had to have wood, but most high school freshmen were less into style those days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hoots - can you check deadissue when you get a chance and let me know if it's working now? I think it should be. I tested it w/ my own IE, but want to make sure.

thanks! DI