Saturday, October 27, 2007

Internets Sideshow

This morning's best time-wasting entertainment item has to be yet another "Ten Most Dangerous" list, this one from Family Security Matters. (This link takes you to the home page. These people either don't know or don't like hyperlinks, so to find the "list" you will have to search among their "Must Read Articles" for the original. I noticed that even when I was at the source the address field still only displayed the HTML of the home page. Very odd, to say the least.)

Before revealing this wonderful list, here are a couple of observations.

►The list seems to cover the whole political spectrum, extreme left to extreme right. The "rationale," -- if it can be called that -- for each item appears at the site. In each case I can "see where they're coming from" but only in the same way that I understand how blindness affects someone discussing French impressionsts.

►It was necessary to drill three or four times into the links to bet to the source. All seemed reluctant to go directly.

►I have very mixed feelings about anyone, myself included, who looks down his nose at well-meaning groups. Although I find this list to be personally amusing, I recognize in myself a strong tendency to be a smug, rude, insensetive, tacky snob. We laugh at the ignorance of others at our peril.

That being said, here is the list.

10) ThinkProgress
9) Muslim Student Association
8) CodePINK
7) American Civil Liberties Union, National
6) Family Research Council
5) Center for American Progress
4) League of the South
3) MoveOn.org
2) Universities and Colleges
1) Media Matters for America

No comments: