Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Classmates Dot Com and Me

(rant)
Am I the only curmudgeon being nagged by an online fleecing machine that makes money preying on the loneliness of people as they age?

.
We live in an era when for a few bucks anyone can find out just about anything about anyone else, up to and including their mother's maiden name, if they want to pay someone to track down that information. But we also have access to so much free information and stuff that only someone with more money than good sense needs to spend a dime finding it.
.
White pages, Google searches, old school records, genealogy sites, the list is endless where people can be located. Even if you don't pay for the details you can find out that so-and-so has had a string of addresses in some other town that you never knew existed. Without knowing the details, that alone is all I want to know about some people.
.
I've been keeping up with this blog for four years now and a Google search spits out over ten thousand hits. Any resourceful person can sift through that mess and find out who I am, but that's the way I like it. There are too many nut cases out there who really don't have any need to know. Presumably if any of them is smart enough to find out my identity with the intent to do me harm, they would do so with or without this blog.
.
So when these "classmates" people send me an unsolicited email telling me that I have had two "visitors" or "inquiries" about me from people who remember me from half a century ago, that piques my curiosity. But when I am asked to PAY a subscription to the site to even peek at the names, I'm thinking...

.
Who found you and left a name (or two!) on your profile? Become a Gold member today to see who's thinking of you! Select a membership option: Only Five bucks a month...Save half for signing up for two years...or save thirty-five percent by subscribing for a year.

Hmm. Somebody wants to find me and tell me something. But whoever it is is not resourceful enough to use Internet resources to do so. I'm not sure I even want to have a conversation with that person.

.
Hey, I got an idea. I'm saving one hundred percent and whoever they are can keep looking. Nice try, ya'll. I'll get back to blogging now.
(/rant)

No comments: