Saturday, February 14, 2009

OFA -- Your Stories

The White House asked for stories.
And stories they got. Too many to count. And they are online for anyone to read.
This is huge.

Vinyl B.
Austell, GA
I live in Atlanta, Georgia and I am a Public Safety civilian worker. Due to the current economic situation, I have been furlough for 16 hours a month. I never thought I would see the day when Public Safety employees are furlough. President Obama, you are doing an excellent job, please keep fighting for American middle class. Thank you.

Allison C.
Chesterfield, S Carolina
I live with progressive multiple sclerosis each and every day of my life. My husband works very hard, but my medicine takes a large portion of his paycheck. We have basic insurance, but if you know anything about the illness you know we just barely make it by. I worked very hard to get President Obama elected because I believe we need change. We don't take care of our American people that have basic needs and health issues. I am using every ounce of energy I have to let my opinion be known. I believe my fellow MSers feel the same way. I am 110 percent behind President Obama.

Nancy S.
Oregon
I have worked at a title insurance company for the last 15 years and in this industry for over 30 years. Last year I was able to start a Fraud Prevention Group which is made up of industry professionals, law enforcement and regulatory agencies. My company was kind enough to allow me to spend the time and energy to form and facilitate this group. We’ve been doing increasingly important work in my community, raising the awareness of how to avoid the scams on the streets today. Last week my company closed and I find myself now challenged with trying to decide how to live on unemployment until I can find another job. I am 60 years old and have seen my retirement savings diminished, my costs go up and my friends and co-workers all become unemployed. I’m not sure how I’ll make it. I am my own sole support. America’s middle class needs help – they need help now. I’ve always been in a position of being able to help others and it’s really tough to find myself unsure of how I’ll pay my bills, unsure of when and if I’ll be able to retire, unsure of tomorrow.

Nichole H.
Ohio
As of a week ago, our family has joined the ranks of the unemployed and thus uninsured. We have two children, a 6 year old and a 10 month old. Because my husband’s job pay-rate kept us far above the poverty rate, we do not qualify for any subsidized health insurance for the children. Granted, we have the 60 day window for COBRA, God forbid we should have a major issue, but the cost of COBRA is so prohibitive, at more than our house payment per month, we have to gamble. I’m not a gambling woman. With my part time jobs and his unemployment, we should be able to keep the roof over our heads, at least one car in the driveway and food in our stomachs for a few months. The state of our health insurance is what truly scares us. He is a talented and intelligent man who has NEVER been without a job in the 20 years since he started working. We pray he finds another job soon and he has some solid leads. Please fix health care. We need this. America needs this.


...and they go on and on and on...

No comments: