Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Regarding Da Speech

Wow.
Like.....WOW!
It looks like the whole daggone blogworld tried to "live blog" that speech. What were they expecting, anyway? Surprises?
My webcam link to Mount St. Helens is more exciting, for goodness sake. Poor guy. His glass is not just half empty, it's about sixty percent empty. And he has to tackle an issue bigger than social security, the budget deficit and the sorry state of healthcare insurance combined. And he's gotta do it quick. Before mid-term elections. This is one time nobody wants to be in his shoes. I wonder if that old phrase about a square peg in a round hole was about a Compassionate Conservative in an Oval Office?

I didn't watch. There were enough spoilers that it wasn't necessary. Besides, my Mom is visiting from the retirement community where she lives and endless stories about her childhood are more pertinent than what was on teevee. So I'm about half a day and a dozen links late pointing to the Anchoress for a good summary of reactions to the speech. I have waited patiently for a long time to link this site again. She (and Buster) are among my daily reads, and blogging is more fun when you can link to places you read with regularity.

She's been on a political tear for a long stretch and recently decided to take a break. You know, like when you read something about morbid obesity and decide to slow down on junk food for a few days. Right. She'll be back in the saddle soon, I'm sure, and I'll have to read, tighten my lips and move to the next site. My politic is perilously close to anarchy and hers is, well, too intense. This morning, though, she has backed far enough away from the bleachers to hear the roar of the crowd which is becoming more an issue than the game itself. Soccer game riots come to mind.

She came across a despicable piece of prose by one of the president's detractors and was taken aback...

If it took the Germans less than four years to rid themselves of 6 million Jews, many of whom spoke German and were fully integrated into German society, it couldn’t possibly take more than eight years to deport 12 million illegal aliens, many of whom don’t speak English and are not integrated into American society.

How do you like that? Is that what you want speaking for you? Sadly, I’ve read similar sentiments on conservative forums all day. That’s where this unhinged, over-emotional rage-train is headed, folks....

That's a terrific line. "...unhinged, over-emotional rage-train." Wish I had said that.
She also points to the common link between that extreme of the political right with another piece of moral bankruptcy from the political left: eugenics.

Just yesterday I was twisting a few Libertarian tails because their athiesm-based stripe of politics (see Ayn Rand) is either blind to the company it keeps or at some level imagines that it can lie down with dogs and not get fleas. I have always felt that pushed to the ropes the American right (see previous post defining neocons) is just a capable of that ugly extreme as any other nest of extremists. Been reading too much David Neiwert, I guess.

My out of date, old-fashioned Liberalism deriving from religious roots has never been fashionable, but it's the best I can come up with. I feel adrift. But I am reassured when I see other Christians whom I regard highly apt to squirm in their Conservative environments when those around them show their teeth. Too bad there isn't anything called a Religious Middle.

No comments: