Monday, November 26, 2007

Medicine in the news...

Actually, not the real news. Just Hoots' news.
My mother, who will be ninety-one in a few weeks, fell on Thanksgiving Day and broke her arm. The family has been in a fustrating nightmare of what is now euphemistically called "care-giving" as we wait for the holiday wheels to grind to Monday morning. Since a broken arm is not a life-threatening emergency she did not "meet the criteria" to be admitted to the hospital, and was sent away with a sling for her arm, a prescription for drugs, and an order to follow-up with an orthopedic surgeon. I don't want to tell about the next two or three days.

Twenty-four hour caregiving, even by "non-skilled" professionals, runs about a thousand dollars a week...not counting the rest of life's expenses. You know...food, rent, transportation...all that other stuff. I'll have to cool off a little before writing a post. At the moment I'm still reeling from the world's best medical care that depends on market economics to do best what government must never touch.

Right.

Meantime, here is a great little commentary on medicine via Boing Boing.

2 comments:

vietnamcatfish said...

Sorry to hear about your mom, hootster. Hope things go well. I remember when Mary broke her arm-it was a bad situation and still hurts her to this day.

Hoots said...

Thanks, Cat.
Things are somewhat calmer now. She's staying with us for a few days while she recovers. We're hopeful she can return to the semi-independent environment where she has lived for nearly three years. I hope sometime to put together a post or series of posts about the state of gerontology and aging, but as long as I am employed in the field I am reluctant to say much. I hear employers are getting more sensitive about that kind of thing on blogs. But when I retire...Nellie, bar the door...