Friday, September 29, 2006

hilzoy on the torture bill

Lots of commentary on the Torture Bill.
I'm too tired to blog much. This says it all.

This is one of those times, like the Red Scare or the internment of the Japanese, which we will look back on with shame and horror. But it is by no means the worst thing that we have ever done as a country, nor is it the most complete betrayal of our values. That would be slavery. Neither the Red Scare nor slavery just ended all by themselves. They ended because people worked very hard to end them. In the case of slavery, they worked for decades, and then for another century after that to get anything approaching equal rights for African-Americans.

More at the links. And for the record, I'm not "looking back" with shame and horror. I'm already looking around me and shaking my head.
What have we done?

No comments: