Thursday, July 03, 2008

HDL, LDL and Memory

Like Doc, I'm making a note of this before I forget...

High levels of low-density lipoproteins (LDL), the “bad” cholesterol, have long been associated with memory problems experienced by the elderly but new research on the effects of the high-density lipoproteins (HDL), shows that high levels of the “good” cholesterol in middle age are beneficial in maintaining good memory well into the twilight years and may reduce the chances of developing age-related dementia.

Lemme see if I got this right. If I have too much "bad" cholesterol I can die from a variety of side effects, but if I add enough "good" cholesterol to this toxic mess, then dementia and Alzheimers may not be on the list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, what does that suggest about niacin? It says at www.cholesterolscore.com that nothing's around that raises HDL more than niacin.