Saturday, February 18, 2006

Michael Totten from Kurdistan

Blogger-reporter Michael J. Totten writes from Erbil, Iraq. His report compares with Michael Yon in giving one the feeling of "being there".

I didn’t like it one bit. But I had to be honest about what was happening. I was in Iraq without a gun and without any bodyguards. The only reason that was possible is because freedom of movement – one of the most basic freedoms in the world - doesn’t exist in Iraq. Without hard internal borders the violence in the center could not be walled off from the north. The very policy that allowed me, a foreigner, to enter Erbil while my Iraqi friends couldn’t was the very policy that kept me alive. I had no choice but to be grateful for that policy, for my own sake as well as for the sake of Kurdish Iraqis, even though some of the results were deplorable and blatantly unfair to the majority of Arab Iraqis who will never hurt anyone.
Quick, easy reading. Not too long. Not to be missed.

No comments: