Friday, February 10, 2006

Peggy Noonan on the King funeral

The next best thing to the six-hour marathon tribute to Coretta Scott King may be Peggy Noonan's column about the event. No matter where you stand on anything, you owe it to yourself to read what she says.

...We do free speech here.
That funeral honored us, and the world could learn a lot from watching it. The U.S. government should send all six hours of it throughout the World Wide Web and to every country on earth, because it said more about who we are than any number of decorous U.N. speeches and formal diplomatic declarations.
I had to listen to Rev. Bernice King's sermon on the radio, and she was so spellbinding that I had what the NPR people call a "driveway moment." It was a good ten minutes before I could get out of my truck. I missed more than half the eulogy, nearly an hour long, but getting hold of a video of this event is on my list. C-CPAN will probably be the best source.

Meantime, go read Noonan.
What she says.

No comments: