Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Any storm in a port

I'm starting to wonder if the port security non-issue might be a red herring to divert attention from cartoon madness. If so, it may be working. If not, then the administration is missing a good chance to practice a bit of political sleight of hand.

As the story opened I sensed a tinge of deception. Too many dogs went charging after the raw meat tossed before them. Even Republicans. Heck, I'm just an ordinary guy surfing the internets and I saw through it. Even Jimmy Carter, everybody's whipping boy, supported it. (Come to think of it, that was like throwing fresh blood on the bait. Surely that wasn't planned...or could it have been...?...)

Comes now Financial Times (hullo, big money!) with a warm puppy, and even the Anchoress is paying attention. Thank you, thank you Buster, my boy. Yo mama's one of the sharpest blades in the drawer and nothing gets past her without close scrutiny.

NRO has a snip or two on the side of the prez, one pointing to none other than the WSJ (...the notion that the Bush Administration is farming out port "security" to hostile Arab nations is alarmist nonsense).

I have a feeling this whole thing might quietly implode in a few days with the echo playing out a tune of moderation from a lot of moderate voices in the Muslim/Arab world.

Just my cynical take on things, but I have noticed in life that even though you can't buy friendship, you can sure buy a lot of practical good will. We'll see.

No comments: