Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"Almost 90% think war is retaliation for Saddam’s role in 9/11"

The depth of ignorance revealed by this Zogby poll is frightening but not surprising.

Lots of people are commenting. Lindsay put her finger on it when she said, "So much for the right wing myth..."

Me? I'm just reading, rolling my eyes and shaking my head. All I know to do is watch the sea and enjoy the sound and spray of the waves. If I see the ocean pull away in an unnatural way, I know now to turn toward land and start running like hell.

There is so much to talk about in this poll I don't know where to start. I'm looking at the Huffpost column by Zogby himself.

Only small percentages see the mission there as securing oil supplies (11%) or to provide long-term bases for US troops in the region (6%)....77% said they believe the main or a major reason for the war was "to stop Saddam from protecting al Qaeda in Iraq."

Hmm. Saddam protecting al-Qaeda. Riight.

...a majority of respondents (53%) said the U.S. should double both the number of troops and bombing missions...

Quelle surprise! Warriors want more warriors. Bombs, too.

The Financial Times piece remarked that although Mr Bush has acknowledged that Iraq played no role in September 11, 85 per cent of the troops said the US mission was mainly “to retaliate for Saddam’s role in the 9/11 attacks”. Of course every speech about the war has opened with references to the September 11 attack and cited it repeatedly. There is nothing like a bloody shirt to keep patriots pumped and kids willing to die.

I gotta move on to something else. This is making me sick.

No comments: