Thursday, March 09, 2006

"...they said they're sorry.. They always are."

I saw somewhere that Mosul is one of several locations where neither US nor Iraqi forces prevail. Probably one of Iraq'a more dangerous and insecure places, but I am only guessing. In any case, Najma has been posting less and less lately, with most of her posts being about school, travel to Baghdad and such. She has carefully avoided too much political commentary, even when conflicts hit right at her door.

Tocay's post is a dramatic account of the death of an uncle. It strikes me as remarkably restrained, making the impact even more moving.

Uncle S was dad's only uncle from his mother's side. A man in his late seventies, peaceful and young in the heart. Last time I saw him was after Eid, I gave him a kiss on his cheek when I greeted him, and he kissed me on my forehead before we left. There's nothing that would make me happier than a kiss on the forehead, especially from a man like him. (He was happy with his new mobile then, and he really knew how to use it unlike many, and I was impressed that a man his age, could understand such up-to-date thing. )

Najma's Dad is a physician. You can read his account of the incident here. The comments thread is instructive.

No comments: