Monday, March 27, 2006

Juan Cole comments on yesterday's events in Iraq

All hell broke loose in Iraq on Sunday, but I'm darned if I can figure out most of what happened or why. It seems possible that the US committed two major military blunders that will worsen its relationship with Iraqi political forces.

I haven't linked too much to Juan Cole lately because several of the blogs I have been following by others specializing on the ME seem not to hold him in high esteem. One thing is sure: like it or not, he is one of the acknowledged experts on the area, whether or not he lives there, speaks Arabic, or anything else. He's an academic. It's his job to stay informed. Anything more is simply a difference of opinion.

Today's blogpost is worth reading. If he says up front he can't figure out what is going on, that tells me things are really a mess. Candor like that is worth a lot in my book.

I don't feel too embarrassed now about my own post at the time.

No comments: