Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wave the Flag Blog

Found a great new blog this morning by drilling into an old post. Tell about it later, but first catch yesterday's post:

Mortars overheard is freaky sounding

I'm out of cigarettes. Life has officially become miserable. Albeit I've gone back to smoking a pack and a hlaf a day, but still. I need menthol Cigarettes.

So we live here on our PB with some Iraqi Army soldiers and I gotta say, although I haven't been in a firefight with them, they're all around good people. They are some funny bastards. I've played an Iraqi version of dominoes which is a fun ass game, they've hooked me up with delicious fresh chicken and bread and good lord it's good. Here in my area we have the Concerned Local Citizen group, and for the most part, they're pretty helpful, All in all the locals around are decent seeming people, hopefully things don't take a turn for the worse.We should've done this kinda thing in the begininng, things would've been so different..

It's fun as hell watching outgoing mortar fire from the roof. But it sucks balls when you're inside trying to sleep. Loud as shit and shakes the whole house, waking you up.

That and being on the roof when outgoing mortars fly past me from our Battalion FOB is scary sounding as shit. The whistling is unnerving

One unexpected surprised however, is the quality of the food. Effing Delicious, that's all I gotta say. Like tonight we had a choice between shrimp scampi and chicken alfredo....I mean, seriously? In a shithole PB, with combat showers, and wag bags and burn pits, and random AK fire, we have this for dinner?

But ya, I need cigarettes.

NOW

Now that's what I call blogging. No nonsense, on the spot, in your face descriptions from a real soldier on the ground. Take it or leave it. I haven't read much, but I know in my heart this is a guy that knows what he's talking about. If I'm ever in trouble he's the kind of person I want covering me.

This is not the first time I have linked to this writer. He had another blog for a little while that he decided to stop maintaining in January. It was on my blogroll until then so I deleted it.

Last night someone hit Soldier memorials: still going on...from last July. That linked to A comrade says goodbye, another post from June the year before (2005), which has a moving description of a soldier memorial penned by this same writer. He left a comment at one of these links that made me want to shake his hand.

Welcome back to blogging, guy. Sorry I didn't catch the new blog when you started it the first of the year. When someone says they don't support the war but they do support the troops, you are exactly the kind of uniformed defender of the country I have in mind. In my mind, you are the real deal. Ready to do what has to be done and not putting up with a lot of shit. Keep up the good blogging and keep your butt down.

This is priceless:

One final thing. I hate ROTC shitbags, just seeing them makes me want to punch them in the face, fucking pissants.

No comments: