Thursday, March 31, 2005

Aggregators...

As the blog world grows, the long tail gets longer, and the top tier gets more crowded.
I left the world of bookmarks some time ago with a Bloglines aggregator (click on the tag below). It has become such a way of blogging that I sometimes go browsing among my old bookmarks to see if anything is happening with the sites that don't have what it takes to be grabbed by "subscription."

My sense is that in time any sites that are not subscription-friendly will fade. Bloglines, of course, may be part of the problem. The tagging system is still in a state of flux, so until a universal standard emerges a lot of places will continue to fall through the cracks.

Here are some aggregators I have found...

Memeorandum
Tom Paine
Pundit Drome (30 sites, plus Chris Muir)
Centerfield [note: harvard (dot) edu]

And, of course, the Grandaddy of them all, Arts and Letters Daily. It used to be my home page, but now I only go there on the weekends if I'm looking for something else to read.

There are more, I'm sure.
If anyone has a favorite, I would like to know about it. A list of aggregators would be the next step in organizing the chaos that we call the blogworld.

No comments: