Monday, March 21, 2005

Only three more years...

Abbas Raza points to the U.S. Memory Championships and a Slate piece about memory.

I wish he hadn't done that.
Just now, I don't recall exactly why I reacted that way...

For some reason a Beatles song has been playing in my head.

When I get older losing my hair many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine,
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?If I'd been out til quarter to three would you lock the door?Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?

...Sigh...

To attain the rank of grand master of memory, you must be able to perform three seemingly superhuman feats. You have to memorize 1,000 digits in under an hour, the precise order of 10 shuffled decks of playing cards in the same amount of time, and one shuffled deck in less than two minutes. There are 36 grand masters of memory in the world. Only one lives in the United States. His name is Scott Hagwood, and he's won every U.S. Memory Championship since he began competing in 2001.

LINK

No comments: