Sunday, March 13, 2005

Caveman is leaving Lebanon

Today's post comes from the dreadfully expensive internet cafe at Schiphol International Airport in Amsterdam, so it will be short and sweet. All apologies for my lack of forthcoming-ness (if indeed there is such a word) regarding my impending departure from Beirut, but Caveman in Beirut will soon become "Caveman Somewhere Else" very soon. Having spent nearly two years in Lebanon, though, I will still post extensively on the situation in Beirut, but I will also try to post more on wider issues pertinent to the greater Middle East region. This was the original purpose of my blog, but I got quite caught up in the rapidly developing Lebanese situation following Hariri's assassination (and I did end up digging the fact that I could provide so much primary source material for other bloggers as I did).

This post from Caveman in Beirut is important.

One of the best informed observers on the ground in Lebanon is relocating, I might guess to a safer location. Like John Reed, the American journalist who found himself at the right place and the right time (October, 1917, start of the Russian Revolution) to witness the unfolding of history in person, Richard Anderson lived in Beirut until lately. His blog has been a lodestone of information and informed comment for the past several weeks. There is no reason to think that he will stop, but from what he says here, he seeks to back away from the Lebanese perspective enough to see better the ME as a region.

He will continue to be a valuable source for anyone who is interested in developments in the Middle East in the weeks and months to come.

No comments: