Sunday, December 04, 2005

Dr. Bob's faith

Dr. Bob's Christian response to a skeptic (I'm being polite here) is a study in charity.

Reader advisory: If you aim to follow this post you will have to do a lot of reading. If you read last month's link to Dr. Bob's blog you will be ahead, but a rather long comment thread was generated by that post, including a nay-sayer whose evangelical need to challenge the faith of others prompts what I can only describe as a model of Christian charity to a pagan.

***********
*********
******
***
*
Change directions.
(Or as they say in programming: CD/: )
.
Dr. Bob is also an incredible cook. I have cooked enough turkeys and studied enough chemistry of cooking to know that if you follow his advice about cooking a turkey next year, you will serve up a meal that will be remembered for years to come. Complete with step-by-step pictures.
.
I love his comments.
.
***I have a preference for fresh-killed turkeys over frozen–their water and fat content is lower (avoid pre-basted turkeys at all costs: the all-too-common Butterball is an abomination, if you must know, literally dripping with hydrogenated vegetable oil, the worst kind of fat).
***The gas-or-electric dispute approaches a religious war in some circles; electric is easier to regulate temperature-wise in my mind–and besides, that’s what I have. Oh, and no foil tents–tin foil is ideal for conspiratorial hats and the like, but terrible for roasting, stewing the meat instead of roasting it.
***...and yes–your eyes aren’t lying–apple slices. I use a crisp, moderately sweet apple (Fujis here in the Northwest). During roasting, the apples disintegrate, adding both sugars for caramelization and lots of liquid for the gravy stock.
***...and place lots of butter and a hefty sprinkling of pepper and tarragon. (If you’re on a low-fat diet, this is not the meal for you; for the rest of us, that’s why God created Lipitor).
.
Yep, this is my kind of doctor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Giulia White and i would like to show you my personal experience with Lipitor.

I have taken for 9 years. I am 60 years old. I took 20 mg for 9 years and I told numerous physicians about my pain and stiffness and was told that I had arthritis and to keep taking it. I left it at home by accident when we went on vacation and within 3 days, the pain in my legs began to go away. After 2 weeks I knew it was a very dangerous medication. I went to my new physician and he wanted me to try Pravachol. Afer 4 days on it, I was in a fog and thought I had the flu. I have been off it for just 36 hours and feel better. I am an RN and should have known that I was experiencing side effects with Lipitor, but you listen to your Doctor because you trust him. I now tell my patients to trust what their bodies are telling them. Statins can't be good for anyone but the drug companies!!!!!!!!!! They keep lowering the recommended levels so that almost everyone is considered to have "high" cholesterol. If someone is 30 and on this for 30 or 40 years there is not telling what the long term effects will be.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Joint and Muscle Pain / Stiffness.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Giulia White