Monday, December 05, 2005

War, politics and other stuff

A few hours ago I received word that one of my former employees died in childbirth Saturday together with her baby. At this writing I don't know the medical explanation (nor do I expect to receive one, given the state of medical treatment and communication in the HIPAA era) but the loss affects my motivation to blog. Arguments against war during wartime are invariably met with harsh rejoinders, as are constructive and thoughtful criticisms of official policies way out of line with even the most broken of moral compasses (i.e. definitions of "torture," extra-legal "detainment," etc.). Such arguments take energy. The only energy I can summon is the hope that I might change a mind or an attitude here or there, so I keep going. But it's hard to focus on hope in the midst of grief. Really hard. So rather than sell ideas this morning, I will simply link to a couple of places that have caught my attention.

This morning's Monday Musing at 3QD by Robin Varghese ponders the efficacy of social and political institutions in the face of brute force. (One cannot stop a coup d’état by an article in the constitution.)

Also the Richard Reeves column of December 2 is getting a lot of attention as is Condoleeza Rice's compelling letter to Jack Straw urging that US oversight of the intenet be continued. As the result of hard US lobbying of the EU at the recent WSIS meeting ICANN continues its mission unmolested for the time being.

Today I have other things to do than blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear John,

I am very sorry for this tragic loss. I wish you and the lady's family the best in coping with it. There isn't much one can say...

Keep blogging.

Hoots said...

Thank you for your support. Later information is that the infant survives in an intensive care unit but the mother died. You are right. There isn't much one can say. We don't know how much we treasure those around us until a loss takes one away. If someone moves away never to be heard from again, we can accept that the move may bring them greater success in life. But when death comes the loss is devastating to think about. An unexpected death for someone in their thirties cuts deep.