Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tony Badran takedown of Seymour Hersh

Seymour Hersh has released yet another blockbuster article in The New Yorker. A line under the title reads "Is the Administration’s new policy benefitting our enemies in the war on terrorism?"

Note the line ends with an interrogation, not an exclamation point. This seems to be a professional writer's touch. It's also a good technique for threading one's way between fact and innuendo. I have come across several references to this article in my reading. A good many smart people follow closely what Hersh says but after reading a different takedown of Seymour Hersh a couple of years ago I always think "salt shaker" when I see the name.

Have I read this most recent piece?
Nope. I will leave that to someone else.
This time it's Tony Badran instead of Chris Suellentrop.

I have enough trouble discovering the truth without having to pick my way through a lot of rhetorical prestidigitation trying to discover what is real and what is suggested. And I say this as someone who deeply wants to believe what he says. No one reading my blog will mistake me for either a supporter of the war or the administration, but throwing a lot of stuff against the wall to see how much will stick is no way to drive home a position.

March 1
Michael J. Totten also noticed. One more nail in the coffin.

No comments: