Friday, November 25, 2005

Comment on "Islamofascism"

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you come across the phrase "Islamo-fascist" unironically deployed in an article, there's a 99-percent chance the author doesn't know what he or she is talking about.


This post is a personal bookmark. When and if my archives are ever read I want this sentence to be found among the debris. This nelogism has found its way to common currency in printed and broadcast media and is well on the way to becoming part of everyday spoken English. The effect is as poisonous as lazy N-word, Gook or Jewish conspiracy, all of which I have heard used casually and with no sense of irony. (I can't put my finger on it at the moment, but a few weeks back I came to the conclusion that Islamophobia has become the New Anti-semitism. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is so.)

Thanks to Tim Cavanaugh for pointing it out.
And thanks to Matthew Hogan for catching it.

Later...

Found it. Link to my other post.

No comments: