Saturday, August 26, 2006

I Nominate Cass for World's Best Mom

Obviously she lives in a world that has lots more hours than most. Knitting and kids are her passions, and she home-schools as well...and she doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.
Check out this great post.

Do ya’ll realize that my aunt said, in front of my children, that they were a burden I should be seeking to rid myself of?

Aunt Faye, this is for you, even though you will never read it, because you don’t even know I have a blog, and only see me and my children a handful of times per year, and only when the whole rest of the family is around.

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Talk about sticker shock! That doesn’t even touch college tuition.

But $160,140 isn’t so bad if you break it down. It translates into: [among other things] just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice is don’t have children if you want to be “rich.” Actually, it is just the opposite. What do you get for your $160,140?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.

She's someone's treasure. At some level I'm glad it isn't me.
It makes me tired to think about it but the world is richer for her being in it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow, Hoots! I am so behind on blog-reading that I just saw this. Thanks, man!