Monday, January 29, 2007

Heeeelp!!!

I need more hours in my day. Life is spinning out of control and there isn't enough time to do everything I need to do and still have time for what I prefer to do. Today I have to install a door in a rental house that was broken into, yesterday we had to skip a church service at the church we have been attending over three years to go to a different service where the retiring rector was officially retiring, preaching his last homily before joining the ranks of the bishop's backup cadre. (I discovered there is actually an official diocesan chaplain to retired priests! Figure that one out.) I could go on, but all readers can relate. We all seem to have more to do than time in which to do them.

What has brought about this morning's hand-wringing is yesterdays discovery of Amanda Baggs and an entire universe of disability rights advocates and their resources that makes me want to plunge into a Quixotic charge in yet another direction. Unfortunately I can see that I already have too much on my plate and am forced to make choices about what I can reasonably read about, write about and do about...
Shades of Toffler!
The age of overchoice is smothering me with a vengeance...
The best I can do is grab a handful of links and stuff them into my blog-pocket like that pile of notes and cards that piles up where I get dressed. They are all important, you know. Names and numbers of people, reminders, shopping lists, notes to follow-up later. And when the pile starts to spill off into the floor I go through it, consolidate and copy the important stuff on a single piece of paper, fold it neatly, and put it back to start a new pile.

Amanda is now on my blogroll and I'm looking forward to her posts. I simply don't have enough time to read all she has written, but she has an extraordinary sense of balance and her essays seem to all be treasures. I looked at one of her first blogposts and skipped about at random and never came across anything I didn't appreciate. A Google search returned thousands of hits, including a post from Autism Diva which includes another video along with the text of what Amanda was sharing. There's more. Lots more. But the damn phone is ringing and I don't have time to continue. An entire world is out there and I simply don't have enough time to go there and learn as much as I want.
Damn.
Just damn.

No comments: