Monday, January 03, 2005

The pain of death, sometimes sudden, sometimes slow

The author of The Anchoress is losing her brother. She has posted about this ongoing sadness previously. Her writing is a study in quiet, reflective dignity and elegance. Her profile says she is a writer. It shows.I submit this post as an introduction...

The past two weeks we have watched efficient nurses administer pain medicine to my brother and then, with eyes brimming, give him sound kisses on his forehead. "I don't know what we are going to do when S leaves us," one nurse choked to me, "we all love him so, and it's not going to seem right without him, here."

Another nurse, her shift ended, was discovered sitting by his bed in the wee small hours. "I just wanted to keep him company and pray for all of you," she offered.

No comments: