Friday, June 16, 2006

Going Probiotic

Meryl Yourish is fighting stomach problems. Looks like a possible setup to get ulcers. So...

The thing is, this drug regimen is probably the suckiest, worst regimen I have ever had to undergo. Four pills (large ones!) twice a day, three of which are two separate antiobiotics, one of which is amoxicillin, which has previously had negative consequences on my digestive tract. So I take these four horse-pills before breakfast, then again twelve hours later, and man, something’s leaving this nasty aftertaste (I blame the antibiotics) throughout the day.

That was a couple of days ago. So to ameliorate the destructive effects of antibiotics, she is taking brave steps to restore some kind of balance to her ecologically wounded digestive tract.

In any event, my great experiment with the various bacteriology of my digestive system continues. And in another eleven days, with any luck, H. pylori will be dead, dead, dead. And I won’t get my too-frequent stomach ailments.

You know, if you really think about it, right now, there’s one hell of a war going on in my stomach. Good bacteria. Bad bacteria. Acidopholus. Saccharomyces boulardi. (Oh. My. Gd. I just discovered a website called “Doctor Fungus.” And discovered that I’ve been waxing poetic about — Brewer’s yeast.


This is not a pretty picture. But tons of people fight this battle every day. Fight on, lady!

No comments: