Thursday, September 22, 2005

Setting a backfire

The expression to "fight fire with fire" comes from a tactic of heading off a raging fire by looking ahead to where the fire can be expected to grow, clearing a line of safety over which the flames(hopefully) cannot jump, then deliberately burning away what would be potential fuel for the threatening inferno. When the "backfire" is lit, we call it fighting fire with fire.

As the next hurricane approaches the coasts of Texas and Louisiana, the Anchoress is letting loose a spiritual backfire. Today's post is a tour de force of such powerful dimensions it is not possible to cover it in a snippet or two. You must go there and allow the place to wash over you, taking your time. I don't think I have ever encountered such a masterful assembley of spiritual weapons anywhere.

Tonight, (basically, as soon as I finish this cup of tea) I am going to be entering into a fast that I hope God will give me the grace to see through for three days. It will be a fasting prayer of Thanksgiving for all of the great and merciful things God has done for me, and for my family, and for my nationĂ‚…it will be a prayer of supplication, for my family and for my nation, for everyone in a hurricane's path, and for two men in particular.

I expect great things, not because of I am anyone special, and not because of my puny fast, but because God has promised me - has promised all of us - great things. We know that if we ask for a loaf, we will not be given a stone. He has promised us that persistentnt widow can overcome the most heartless and selfish judge. His eye is on the sparrow. He clothes the lilies of the field in splendor, and so much more does he tend to us. And he says that where two or more gather in his name, He is there.

Don't miss the Gregorian Chant section. Three days will be ending Saturday night. We can all join with her during this time and rejoice together as a fast is broken on Sunday morning. It gives a richer meaning to the word "breakfast".

No comments: