Thursday, September 15, 2005

Van der Leun treasure chest

Gerard is moving from Laguna Beach to Seattle and doesn't plan to do much blogging. "One thousand miles of coastline is nothing to just zoom past if you've got the chance. " Can't say I blame him. By way of giving his readers something to look at while he takes a sabbatical from the keyboard, he leaves a list of past writing.

Bookmark time!

I haven't read all this stuff, but I can tell you that what I have read is worth revisiting. Scanning the list several pieces jumped out at me. Following the Beslan massacre last year Pieta for the 41st Photograph brought tears to my eyes. I had already decided to see the penguin movie, but he got there first with The Penguin Movie for Guys . It made me want to go even more. The "Brights:" Smug, Self-satisfied and Stupid is a take-down of atheists that triggered a spate of hate-posts from stung readers. Methinks they protested too much. The Name in the Stone first appeared Memorial Day two years ago, and was reposted a few weeks ago when I caught it for the first time. Great stuff. I just read My Mother at Ninety and got some sense of the tree that this apple fell from. Any wonder he can write so well? And I think Let Us Now Praise Remarkable Bloggers - 1 is the reason that I added Dr. Bob to my aggregator.

So much to do...so little time...
Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy.

No comments: