Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hell hath no fury...

Not wanting to miss my chance to kick a guy when he's down, I need to knock off a line or two about the most venerated snuff film producer of our day, Mel Gibson. Most of US Christendom raised that movie to the status of an icon, but I found it offensive. The nagging question I had as I watched was: What about this movie makes any non-believer want to become a Christian? I have not read that the film has resulted in a measurable swelling of Christian conversions, although the very measurable arithmetic of revenue has been impressive.

Two of my favorite women bloggers are Jews. When Gibson's nakedly anti-Semitic drunken tirade hit the news the story was almost comic relief from writing about this deadly war in Lebanon.

Allison Kaplan Sommer...The only good thing I have to say about Mel Gibson is that he caused me to blog about something other than the war for the first time in weeks...

Meryl Yourish...We had your number years ago, you anti-Semitic creep.

That's enough. He has publically apologized so we are obliged to go easy. But from my impression is that the apology was not for being anti-Semitic but for being drunk.

No comments: