Thursday, November 25, 2004

The Medical Lottery

A doctor comments on a Virginia Postrel piece regarding helping LD students through med school.

GruntDoc: Smart but Slow, or Med School Gets Dumbed Down: "Not all docs are geniuses; in fact, probably most are of above average intelligence, but not genius-range. They got through school and residency by working really hard and applying themselves, not necessarily through stupefying brilliance."

Somebody once asked me how I would feel about going to a doctor who was last in his class in school. I decided that after all was said and done, my medical care was ultimately my own responsibility, and nothing prevents me from asking for a second opinion.

Sometimes we get this issue of political correctness all out of focus. There must be more important arguments in the world.

No comments: